As a mom of three kids, I am always taking my kids somewhere. Karate. Gymnastics. Band practice. Art club. Toddler tumbling. Doctor appointments – and the occasional emergency orthodontist trip. Every week, I’m there. And so are countless other moms…fully engaged with their smartphones.
We’ve all seen it. Now, I’m not saying that this fascination with our smartphones is right. Believe me, it breaks my heart whenever I see a child vying for the attention of his mother who’s obviously more interested in her Facebook status than the fact that the kid is covered in mud. But this seems to be the reality for many. And it’s just not parents. It’s everyone of all ages – or in the case of my household, from the ages of 21 months (thanks to the Disney Junior app) to my youthful 25 (plus 15) years.
And I’m not alone in my personal finding. According to SAP’s latest mobile consumer survey, it was found worldwide that:
- 79% either make or receive calls on their mobile phone daily
- 62% either send or receive texts on a daily basis
- 62% rely on their smartphones to help manage their lifestyle
- 50% use their smartphones to access the Internet every day
- 32% have purchased products or services over the last 12 months via their mobile phone
And who can blame us? With a library of mobile apps at your fingertips 24