Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird,
That cannot fly.
Are your big dreams attainable possibilities or simply wishful thinking? Even if your answer is the latter, ”wishful thinking,” there are ways that you can take your dreams out of that category and put them into the realm of possibilities. In fact, you are most likely more equipped to convert dreams into reality than you think!
Here are a couple of effective strategies that can help you reap the rewards of living those big dreams for real:
1. What is your “why?” Want whatever “it” is for the right reasons. Before you go off chasing your big dreams, stop and ask yourself, “Do I really want this for me?” Sometimes, it is very easy to get caught up in what your family wants for you or what society dictates that you do that your eventually lose sight of what is important to you.
- Really stop and think about how your life would change if you achieved that big goal.
- Feel confident in tweaking your dream so that it is exactly what you want for you, and not what would make others happy.
- Consider if the end result is really worth all that you will be required to put in or sacrifice.
2. Take smaller bites. Once you have figured out and decided that your big dream is really yours and yours alone, you will need to create a solid game plan for achieving it. A big part of that is to break down your humongous goal into smaller, more attainable goals.
- For example, if turning your dream into reality has large costs, break down the expenses into smaller amounts that your income can accommodate over time.
- If your goal means great personal changes, divide these changes into a series of small, achievable steps that will lead you closer and closer to your goal.
- Once you have broken things down, set realistic targets for achieving the mini-goals and hit them!
3. Network, network, network. As the saying goes, “No man is an island.” Take advantage of the knowledge, skills, help and support of others around you to help you meet your goals.
- Seek mentors that have already met goals similar to yours.
- Discover how others in similar situations to yours have overcome challenges to meet their goals.
For me, this year, this means locking myself into accountability groups or partners for each of my goals.
4. Everything has a cost. Most successful people today can tell you of sacrifices they have had to make in order to attain their goals. Turning big dreams into reality takes time and effort, but the end result is living the life you desire. But, if you continue to do everything the same way you always have, you can only expect to get the same old result!
- For instance, do you have some unhealthy spending habits that are hindering your progress toward your goals? Put some frivolous expenses on the back burner in favor of expenses that are directly tied in with your dreams.
- In order to bring some time into your schedule to work on your goals, perhaps you can substitute some of the time you spend watching TV with actions that lead you closer to your goal.
There is no real reason that you cannot turn your big dreams into bigger realities. You are the only person who can dictate what you can and cannot achieve! Try a few, or all, of these tips to start yourself on the journey to wards transforming your dreams into reality.
You will look back and smile when you make it happen!
To your continued success!
Photo Credit: Stuck in Customs via Compfight cc